This morning I woke up with a craving for pancakes. No instant pancake mix to be seen, I decided to make my own. On my little healthy kick, I decided no eggs and no all-purpose flour (and no chocolate chips — can you believe it?!).
Healthy Eggless Whole Wheat Pancakes (Fluffy!)
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon optional - I was out so I skipped this
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk I used 1/2 percent, but the original recipe called for whole milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tbsp butter melted came out ok with 1 tbsp too
- 1/2 a large banana sliced and 1/2 cup of walnuts (chopped into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Combine dry ingredients and mix.
- Add rest of ingredients and whisk until smooth. Be careful not to over-whisk.
- Heat a small skillet (maybe an omelette pan) over medium-high heat. To check if it's hot enough, put a couple tiny drops of water on the pan. It should sizzle and disappear.
- Put a couple drops of oil on the pan and wait a couple seconds for it to heat.
- Add any optional ingredients: I sliced 1/2 a large banana and a half cup of walnuts and mixed them into the batter.
- Put about a fifth of the batter into the pan, enough for a small pancake.
- This part is hard to describe. You have to pour the batter into the pan slowly. Keep an eye on the pan to see how large the pancake expands to. Then wait for it to brown. If the heat setting is correct, the bottom of the pancake should harden a bit before burning (which will make flipping it a bit easier too).
- Once the bottom is a little brown, the edges of the pancake will start to harden (only a little) and will slightly fold inward. Bubbles will also form on the surface. When all this happens, grab a spatula and carefully flip the pancake.
- Once this side is also brown (the pancake also won''t be quite as gooey), you're ready to eat! (Let it cool a bit first though.)
I ran out of syrup for my pancakes, so I made some myself.
Drizzle syrup on top of pancakes!
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tsp sugar
- Add half cup of water to about 3 tsp of sugar in a pot.
- Boil on high until the liquid thickens.